Skip to main content

Mitch Hurwitz Returns to TV with New Comedy Project

Mitch Hurwitz is returning to television, but sadly not with a surprise return to the much-missed Bluths of Arrested Development. (Damn!)

The Arrested Development creator is adapting live-action 2001 Aussie comedy Sit Down, Shut Up as an animated series at FOX.
Sit Down, Shut Up, from Sony Pictures Television, Granada USA and Tantamount (the production company Hurwitz operates with Kim and Eric Tannenbaum), will revolve around a group of high school staff members in a small fishing town as their egos and problems compete with the children they are meant to be teaching.

Hurwitz, who co-wrote last season's comedy pilot The Thick of It at ABC, will write and executive produce the project. FOX has ordered casting for a table read on the pilot script and will make a decision about whether to greenlight a pilot based on the outcome.

It's another in a long line of efforts from FOX to find its next animated franchise which it can pair with The Simpsons or Family Guy. (FOX is also developing a Family Guy spin-off series entitled Cleveland and an animated adaptation of its old live action series, The Pitts, among others.)

As for why Hurwitz would work at FOX after the shabby way they treated Arrested Development (unceremoniously axed after airing its final four episodes in a row on a Friday evening), this is show business, after all, and FOX is under new, visionary management by Kevin Reilly, who has put together an impressive and interesting slate of development this year.

Stay tuned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wasnt his the thick of it Adaption picked up by showtime?
Jace Lacob said…
Hi Art,

Nope. The Thick of It never got past the piloting stage last year. After ABC passed on the pilot, Sony attempted to shop it elsewhere but it was not set up at Showtime or anywhere else, to my knowledge.
Could be good but what is with all the Australian remakes suddenly? Did we finally rip off all of the British shows and need to mine another country's creativity?

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Lee Packs Her Knives: Breaking News from Bravo's "Top Chef"

The android has left the building. Or the test kitchen, anyway. Top Chef 's robotic host Katie Lee Joel, the veritable "Uptown Girl" herself (pictured at left), will NOT be sticking around for a second course of Bravo's hit culinary competition. According to a well-placed insider, Joel will "not be returning" to the show. No reason for her departure was cited. Unfortunately, the perfect replacement for Joel, Top Chef judge and professional chef Tom Colicchio, will not be taking over as the reality series' host (damn!). Instead, the show's producers are currently scouring to find a replacement for Joel. Top Chef 's second season was announced by Bravo last month, but no return date has been set for the series' ten-episode sophomore season. Stay tuned as this story develops. UPDATE (6/27): Bravo has now confirmed the above story .

BuzzFeed: Meet The TV Successor To "Serial"

HBO's stranger-than-fiction true crime documentary The Jinx   — about real estate heir Robert Durst — brings the chills and thrills missing since Serial   wrapped up its first season. Serial   obsessives: HBO's latest documentary series is exactly what you've been waiting for.   The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst , like Sarah Koenig's beloved podcast, sifts through old documents, finds new leads from fresh interviews, and seeks to determine just what happened on a fateful day in which the most foul murder was committed. And, also like  Serial  before it,  The Jinx may also hold no ultimate answer to innocence or guilt. But that seems almost beside the point; such investigations often remain murky and unclear, and guilt is not so easy a thing to be judged. Instead, this upcoming six-part tantalizing murder mystery, from director Andrew Jarecki ( Capturing the Friedmans ), is a gripping true crime story that unfolds with all of the speed of a page-turner; it

BBC Culture: Matthew Weiner: Mad Men’s creator on its final episodes

The creative force behind the period drama talks about where his characters are as his show begins its final episodes. “We left off with everyone’s material needs being met in an extreme way,” says Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner of where we last saw the characters on his critically acclaimed period drama when the show went on hiatus 10 months ago. “Then the issue is, what else is there?” That is the central question with the return to US TV of the AMC hit, one demanding to be answered by both the show’s characters, and its creator whose success is the envy of the television industry. Mad Men has been a defining part of Weiner’s life for the last 15 years. He wrote the pilot script on spec while he was a staff writer on CBS’ Ted Danson sitcom Becker in 1999, using it to land a writing gig on HBO’s The Sopranos in 2002. It would take another five years, filled with multiple rejections, before the first episode of Mad Men would make it on the air. Someone with less determination or vision