Skip to main content

FOX Slows "Drive" to Six-Episode Initial Run

FOX continued to tweak its late spring/early summer schedule today, with a number of scheduling-related announcements that would seem to confuse even the most seasoned TV viewer.

But the most, er, intriguing development has to be that the network has opted to split the 13-episode run of upcoming drama Drive, starring a slew of familiar faces including Nathan Fillion and Amy Acker, into two sections.

Drive kicks off on April 15th but, due to the series' "tight production schedule," FOX will only air the first six episodes of Drive for now, wrapping its five week run on May 7th. Subsequent episodes will then air at a to-be-determined date later in the season. (Read: summer burnoff.)

Due to the fact that On the Lot, Steven Spielberg's reality series ode to student filmmakers, is set to inherit the series' Mondays at 8 pm timeslot on May 28th (following a repeat of House on May 14 and the second half of 24's 2-hr finale on May 21st), some sort of arrangement was bound to occur. But is splitting Drive's freshman season in half really the best option? (It certainly doesn't belie any confidence from FOX in the series.)

Meanwhile, FOX has also announced that The War at Home will end its second season on April 22nd. That night, the lineup will shift around considerably, with King of the Hill moving to 7:30 pm in order to accommodate double episodes of The Simpsons and, starting April 29th, a repeat airing of King of the Hill at 7 pm.

But hold your horses! On June 10th, the network will again rejigger its Sunday night lineup, this time moving The War at Home to 7 pm, followed by King of the Hill. 8 pm brings The Simpsons and Amercan Dad, while at 9 pm, we've got Family Guy and Season Two of The Loop. Riiiight.

Comments

I don't really get this series. It has an amazing cast but the concept just seems so one-note. I saw an old version of the pilot, before they recast it. It might be better now but, from your post, looks like this pilot is going nowhere fast.
Unknown said…
C'mon Danielle, it's Minear - I've got faith that there's more than meets the eye.
Anonymous said…
This sounded like it might have potential however the split season and FOX's history of not given shows a chance makes me question if it is even worth tuning into the first episode.
The CineManiac said…
So once again Tim Minear puts his trust in Fox and already they are screwing him over. Maybe this time we'll at least get all 13 episodes on DVD like Firefly and Wonderfalls before it, and unlike The Inside, which I'm still waiting for.
But from what I hear, Minear made a pretty penny either way.
Stupid Fox!!!
Unknown said…
The way I see it, DRIVE is like The Amazing Race meets Lost. Keep it coming!!!!!
Anonymous said…
WHEN WILL DRIVE BE RETURNING. WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE SHOW AGAIN. LOVE THE CHARACTERS IN IT. WATCHED IT AFTER I WATCHED PRISON BREAK. COULD NOT GO TO SLEEP UNTIL DRIVE WAS OVER. LOVED THE SHOW SO MUCH. PLEASE BRING IT BACK................

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Lee Packs Her Knives: Breaking News from Bravo's "Top Chef"

The android has left the building. Or the test kitchen, anyway. Top Chef 's robotic host Katie Lee Joel, the veritable "Uptown Girl" herself (pictured at left), will NOT be sticking around for a second course of Bravo's hit culinary competition. According to a well-placed insider, Joel will "not be returning" to the show. No reason for her departure was cited. Unfortunately, the perfect replacement for Joel, Top Chef judge and professional chef Tom Colicchio, will not be taking over as the reality series' host (damn!). Instead, the show's producers are currently scouring to find a replacement for Joel. Top Chef 's second season was announced by Bravo last month, but no return date has been set for the series' ten-episode sophomore season. Stay tuned as this story develops. UPDATE (6/27): Bravo has now confirmed the above story .

Have a Burning Question for Team Darlton, Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, or Michael Emerson?

Lost fans: you don't have to make your way to the island via Ajira Airways in order to ask a question of the creative team or the series' stars. Televisionary is taking questions from fans to put to Lost 's executive producers/showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and stars Matthew Fox ("Jack Shephard"), Evangeline Lilly ("Kate Austen"), and Michael Emerson ("Benjamin Linus") for a series of on-camera interviews taking place this weekend. If you have a specific question for any of the above producers or actors from Lost , please leave it in the comments section below . I'll be accepting questions until midnight PT tonight and, while I can't promise I'll be able to ask any specific inquiry due to the brevity of these on-camera interviews, I am looking for some insightful and thought-provoking questions to add to the mix. So who knows: your burning question might get asked after all.

BBC Culture: Matthew Weiner: Mad Men’s creator on its final episodes

The creative force behind the period drama talks about where his characters are as his show begins its final episodes. “We left off with everyone’s material needs being met in an extreme way,” says Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner of where we last saw the characters on his critically acclaimed period drama when the show went on hiatus 10 months ago. “Then the issue is, what else is there?” That is the central question with the return to US TV of the AMC hit, one demanding to be answered by both the show’s characters, and its creator whose success is the envy of the television industry. Mad Men has been a defining part of Weiner’s life for the last 15 years. He wrote the pilot script on spec while he was a staff writer on CBS’ Ted Danson sitcom Becker in 1999, using it to land a writing gig on HBO’s The Sopranos in 2002. It would take another five years, filled with multiple rejections, before the first episode of Mad Men would make it on the air. Someone with less determination or vision