Skip to main content

NBC Sets Launch Date for "Andy Barker" But At The Expense of "30 Rock"

After weeks of speculation, NBC has finally released firm launch dates for its midseason series, The Black Donnellys and Andy Barker, P.I.

It was widely anticipated that The Black Donnellys, a crime drama about four Irish-American brothers involved with organized crime (from Crash creators Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco), would take over the Monday nights at 10 pm timeslot from struggling freshman series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, beginning March 5th. (That said, not coincidentally, it's the night Heroes wraps up its next batch of episodes, providing Donnellys with a rather cushy launch pad.)

NBC has not said how many weeks Donnellys will, er, "help out" Studio 60, though it did order 13 eps; how long Donnellys remains will have much to do with the performance of the newbie series, though after its initial broadcast, it won't have new episodes of Heroes as a lead-in.

Meanwhile, the Peacock also finally revealed an airdate and timeslot for freshman comedy Andy Barker P.I., starring Andy Richter (of the still very much missed Andy Richter Controls the Universe), but it's not one that made this TV watcher very happy.

Andy Barker will rotate into NBC's single-camera comedy block on Thursday nights at 9:30 pm, taking over real estate belonging to the I-still-can't-believe-no one-is-watching-this-show laughfest 30 Rock.

30 Rock, which aired its most hilarious episode yet last week ("Black Tie"), will take a bit of a breather when Andy Barker takes over its timeslot on March 15th. After Barker airs its six episode order (including an ep penned by Jane Espenson), 30 Rock will rejoin the schedule on April 19th.

Having seen the pilot for Andy Barker last May (and been way too disappointed despite the presence of Richter and Arrested Development's Tony Hale), I can't say that I have the highest hopes for the series In the meantime, I don't know what I'll do with my impending 30 Rock withdrawal as it's become a crucial part of my Thursday night routine and made me almost forget how bad My Name is Earl has become this season. Almost.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tragic news indeed. Funny, if you had told me last summer that I'd be more upset about NBC pulling 30 Rock from the schedule than Studio 60, I'd have had you committed.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, I love Andy Richter and I still miss that show, but I wasn't that crazy about AB, PI.
Oh no! I'm going to miss "30 Rock." I saw the "Andy Richter" pilot and it was just okay. Hopefully the other eps are better.
Rich said…
It truly is sad news that 30 Rock will be going on a break. That show has only gotten better with each episode and I completely agree that last week's episode was the best. Some of those storylines came out of nowhere (the prince and his size/shape) and were great!
Anonymous said…
"Black Tie" episode of 30 Rock was great, but last week's show sucked. It's hit or miss. That's the problem.

Popular posts from this blog

What's Done is Done: The Eternal Struggle Between Good and Evil on the Season Finale of "Lost"

Every story begins with thread. It's up to the storyteller to determine just how much they need to parcel out, what pattern they're making, and when to cut it short and tie it off. With last night's penultimate season finale of Lost ("The Incident, Parts One and Two"), written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, we began to see the pattern that Lindelof and Cuse have been designing towards the last five seasons of this serpentine series. And it was only fitting that the two-hour finale, which pushes us on the road to the final season of Lost , should begin with thread, a loom, and a tapestry. Would Jack follow through on his plan to detonate the island and therefore reset their lives aboard Oceanic Flight 815 ? Why did Locke want to kill Jacob? What caused The Incident? What was in the box and just what lies in the shadow of the statue? We got the answers to these in a two-hour season finale that didn't quite pack the same emotional wallop of previous seas

Katie Lee Packs Her Knives: Breaking News from Bravo's "Top Chef"

The android has left the building. Or the test kitchen, anyway. Top Chef 's robotic host Katie Lee Joel, the veritable "Uptown Girl" herself (pictured at left), will NOT be sticking around for a second course of Bravo's hit culinary competition. According to a well-placed insider, Joel will "not be returning" to the show. No reason for her departure was cited. Unfortunately, the perfect replacement for Joel, Top Chef judge and professional chef Tom Colicchio, will not be taking over as the reality series' host (damn!). Instead, the show's producers are currently scouring to find a replacement for Joel. Top Chef 's second season was announced by Bravo last month, but no return date has been set for the series' ten-episode sophomore season. Stay tuned as this story develops. UPDATE (6/27): Bravo has now confirmed the above story .

Have a Burning Question for Team Darlton, Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, or Michael Emerson?

Lost fans: you don't have to make your way to the island via Ajira Airways in order to ask a question of the creative team or the series' stars. Televisionary is taking questions from fans to put to Lost 's executive producers/showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and stars Matthew Fox ("Jack Shephard"), Evangeline Lilly ("Kate Austen"), and Michael Emerson ("Benjamin Linus") for a series of on-camera interviews taking place this weekend. If you have a specific question for any of the above producers or actors from Lost , please leave it in the comments section below . I'll be accepting questions until midnight PT tonight and, while I can't promise I'll be able to ask any specific inquiry due to the brevity of these on-camera interviews, I am looking for some insightful and thought-provoking questions to add to the mix. So who knows: your burning question might get asked after all.